Wednesday, December 28, 2011

End of the Year, beginning of another...

In looking back over the last 12 months, with only 3 days left in this year, 2011 is the first calendar year that I have not run a race since my first race in December 2000. Now, it's been well over 12 months since my last race...June 6, 2010 to be specific...but never have I gone from Jan 1st through Dec 31st without running a race since that first race.

What does that mean? Well, in the running world, it's been a roller coaster year...some things have been physical limitations, others have been mental blocks. Either way, it's just been a trying year in the running realm. It's been a life-changing time as well...when I look back at where I was emotionally, physically, socially, etc. at the start of the year compared to where I am now, it's a vivid reminder of how many things happened over the course of 12 months.

I'm just about to complete 3 months of no running... crazy. I mean, I've run maybe 3 times, for a total of 90 minutes of running total over that time period. Other than that little bit of time, I've lived the worst kind of sedentery life...not necessarily being careful of my food intake, not doing much exercise and just not really taking care of my body like I have up to this point. I've gained some weight...most non-runners don't see it, but most of my runner-friends would see it. However, most of them haven't seen me in those 3 months... or even before that.

So, what is coming from 2012? Well, lots of things. There's a new relationship in my life that I'm excited about and has given me hope of things in my future that I no longer thought were options...were possible.

One of the first things that will come along will be the Marathon Olympic Trials here in Houston...something I thought 20 months ago that I'd be participating in. The chances were never great, but looking back at my progress and what I felt that my body could handle in the way of training, I really thought I held a legitimate chance of making. I'd have been way less disappointed if I'd made it to Chicago and made a run in top shape and missed it by 10 or 15 minutes than to have gone out the way I did, never even making it there. As it is, there is a certain level of emptiness inside about how things all happened. There's a lot of "unfinished business" inside. I'm not 100% sure what it all means at this point in the game, but I do know that it still occupies my mind. I will be out there to watch, and I'll be watching the dvr'd race and studying it deeply. It won't be without a certain level of disappointment inside, though. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to witnessing the two events (ladies and men's races) in person and watching America's best. It will be a sight to see, for sure.

As for my running plans, there are several. First things first, though...I need to get myself back into some semblance of shape and fitness, which includes dropping some serious el-bee's. :P But, there will also be some weight lifting, so weight loss may not happen as it did before. I have a couple of goal races out there, but no goal times in mind as of yet....just races I'd like to do and be in shape for.

All is not 100% right in my world right now... things are great, yes, but some very important things remain out of balance. There are times and actions to take place over the next 30 days that will bring proper order, but for now, dealing with those imbalances poses challenges for sure. But, what is life if there are no challenges?

On that note, I will wrap up this post.

The new year, I have full hope, brings some definite changes to all phases of my life, and those worth sharing, I'll happily share with my few followers here.

Happy New Year all!

1 comment:

  1. You and I must have taken the same chapter out of the same book. I too have skipped running for about 3 months and gained a few el bees! Let's get back out there and do this! See you around!

    ReplyDelete