Saturday, June 25, 2011

6/25/11 - Kenyan Way Long run - 16.5 Miles

16.5 Miles (I think)
2:00:01

First off, I know I have lots of dates I've missed, but I'll have to take some time another day to go back and update. I've got some workouts under my belt lately, but I tell ya, there's nothing like a workout to remind you how far you are away from the fitness you desire.

Today's run was another example. I went out with the plan for 18 miles, but the heat and humidity did me in before I could make it that far. Perhaps I wasn't fully hydrated the day before, perhaps it was mistakes in diet prior to the run, I don't know. Perhaps it was just that I wasn't up for it today. I did 17 last week and while I struggled to complete it to a degree, I made it and felt pretty darn good about it. Today, the legs were gone by 13 miles, but I somehow powered my way through for another 3 1/2 miles. It was ugly, but sometimes running is just like that.

Each day that I get out the door these days, I have this Pearl Izumi ad in my head:

NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN HUMBLED BY JOGGING.
If all we want to do is feel good about ourselves, jogging is the ticket. It doesn’t challenge us. It doesn’t test us. It doesn’t exact a physical or psychological toll. Worst case scenario is, jogging may cause mild perspiration on color-coordinated sweat suits. But if we’re willing to push ourselves into uncharted territory, a place littered with broken bodies and remnants of the human psyche, running may be what we’re looking for. Without question, it dishes out more heaping helpings of humble pie than any sport we know of. Little wonder that so few people have the testicular fortitude to lace up and run like an animal.

I love this, and I love the challenge of training for the marathon. Today was humbling, but even more so, it simply poured a little more gasoline over the fire that already burns inside. Later all!

1 comment: