Saturday, December 4, 2010

12/4/10 Kenyan Way Long Run - 13.8 Miles

13.8 Miles
1:36

Awesome run, although I was reminded repeatedly of just how much fitness has been lost. I'm still out of shape and not able to run like I did before, and every time I forgot that and picked up the pace, my body reminded me shortly after that I could not maintain it. I did it the first time about 3 miles into the run and thought about turning back where the run would have been around 10-miles. At the point I could have turned back, I noticed that EVERYONE took off and went for the extra 4-miles, so doggoneit, I went with them. Actually, I started behind everyone as I was ready to run the other way, but decided last minute to head the same way they were. I fully expected to catch up to them before we made it all the way around Rice U, but boy was I wrong. As a matter of fact, I lost ground to them, only catching up at the water stop. Quite humbling.

I ran back with a new girl who is relatively new to Houston, and she helped push me through the final miles.

Overall, a great run that I feel really happy for having completed. Additionally, no lingering negative effects on the Achilles...I guess we'll know that for sure after my Monday appointment. But it was a good sign when I reffed and coached my daughters soccer game just a couple of hours later that I was able to run up and down the field without giving the Achilles a 2nd thought. Things are definitely looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment