Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Coming Year

So, the end of year is coming and the start of another. In many ways, 2010 was one of the most challenging years of my short life, but I don't know that I've felt more anticipation and eagerness for an upcoming year as I do for 2011.

I may save more for a later post, but I will say this. I'm going to do everything I can to make my biggest running goal a reality. That's what I love about running...it's not subjective. It's not effected by the opinions of those around you. It's cannot be influenced, unless you allow it, by what someone else says, does, writes, types, thinks or whatever. It's almost solely in the hands of the person doing the running. There are specific steps (pun intended) to take in order to become a better runner. There's workouts, paces to hit, miles to complete and a body to keep healthy. All of that is in your control to a large degree.

There's your mindset, your attitude, your willingness and your desire...all of which you control.

There's your motivation, which you are in charge of determining.

Yes, there is a variable here...something out of the control of man. That's the abilities and skills that God has blessed someone with. Granted, some people may be built for running, while others are most definitely not. But if there is one blessing I'm most thankful for (other than my life and my daughter), it's choice. I have the ability to choose what I do each and every day, from the time I get out of bed, the distance I run, the foods I eat and don't eat, the fluids I drink and don't drink, the people I listen to or don't listen to...everything.

But if someone thinks what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it, is foolish, unrealistic or just plain stupid, that's OK. You know why? Because even if you feel insulted by the fact that I believe I can qualify for the US Olympic Trials, even if you think it's a pipe dream, even if you think I have nowhere near the ability to make it, I can still lace up my shoes, put on my running shorts, put on my Boston cap, strap on my Nike watch, and walk out onto Snover or Scotland Streets and hit put in more miles.

This year has seen some changes, and I believe 2011 will be a year of even greater change in my life in many aspects. But these things will not change, barring serious injury and major time off of running: (1) my love for my daughter and desire to do and be everything for her that a man should do and be, (2) humility in my running (and all aspects of life), knowing that all that I have in my abilities and skills can be taken away in an instant if taken for granted, so I have to remember where it all comes from, and (3) my goal to qualify to toe the line at the US Marathon Olympic Trials.

3 comments:

  1. Sam,

    Your progress in the past few weeks has been amazing. I guess we won't see much of you on long runs anymore.

    Keep on keepin' on.

    John Spiller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good to see that you are making such great progress health-wise, best wishes for 2011 and to meeting all your goals!!

    ReplyDelete