Saturday, February 5, 2011

2/5/11 AM Easy Run 7 Miles/Blogging Return

7 Miles
51:28

Just got myself out for a trot to the park, a loop and back. It seemed that returning from my Achilles injury was going smoothly until one Saturday long run when I ran particularly well for 16 miles. Later that night, my left knee was swollen/fluidy. Initially I didn't put too much stock in it, as I got out the door for some running the next day and wasn't hindered, nor was it an issue for the next week or so. Then I began to pay a price for the running, in lack of mobility and discomfort in the knee.

I took some time, iced a little (yes, I should have been icing every day). On marathon day, I ran in a fellow Kenyan Way-er the last 4-miles @ 7:15/mi, which had been the first running I'd done in about 5 days. I spent plenty of warm up running getting to where I met her @ Mile 22, and the run felt ok, but things were still not feeling right. I eased my way through a Monday run, and just decided to take the rest of the week off until the swelling was gone and the movement returned.

That was today. The run felt good, and so far, no ill effects. We'll see in the morning. Fingers Crossed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I took some time off from blogging for a few reasons. Mainly because I find that I do share a lot of myself in the cyber-world, and I really needed to reel that in a bit. Doing that can leave you feeling (if not actually) a little vulnerable, which is not something I enjoy feeling. So, I dropped off my Facebook for a little while, and here as well.

There are a few things in my life I've been working on getting in a little better order, and while progress has been made, I hate to say it, but I'm living in the evidence the night is darkest before the dawn. I'm not sure how close I am to the dawn, though.

Funny...despite that feeling, I live comfortably in the knowledge that my life is blessed. Blessed by who's definition? Well, by my own. Even in my hardest days, I try to take some time to think about the people, events, skills, things, responsibilities that I am blessed with. Some have been given. Some have been earned. Some have been developed. Some, unfortunately, have been squandered, wasted, and in some cases, hurt. All of it stays in my head and heart, however, and I try to bring those things to the forefront, especially when I feel like a particular day is beating on me.

I was asked recently by one of my closest friends if I still had the goal of making the Trials, with my physical challenges that have come along. In all honesty, the goal hasn't changed. I'm dealt the cards I'm dealt, and that's all I have to go on. Until the 30-day point comes and goes, even if I miss it by 10 minutes, the goal cannot change. Only the path to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment