Sunday, April 10, 2011

Health and Reality

Just a quick stop in to post. I'm still working on getting healthy. Been dealing with some calf issues now, and I'm starting to think i'm on the tail end of those. Been working in the pool and stationary bike...mainly the bike. My iPod has been the saving grace that allows me to stay on for an hour at a time. :-) It's tough, I tell ya... not cause it's hard, but because it's kinda boring.

I made another attempt at a run on Saturday, and it was finally "successful", in the sense that I went out for a set distance and was able to run that distance... 4 miles in just under 31-minutes. I was truly pleased with that. I was on the cusp of using that to fuel confidence to run more this week, but I think that just tells me to keep doing what I'm doing, and make another go next weekend.

As for reality, I think it's time I actually said out loud that the Trials are no longer the goal. There is just no way that I can see right now that 2:19 is going to come out of this body by October 9. I'm okay with that, though. Right now, focus is getting healthy and getting on the road to get fit, so that I can train for the marathon and run a good time. Sometimes, you just have to deal with the things that life throws your way, and right now I'm learning to deal with those things.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great. Just keep at it and one day the injuries will be a distant memory. Get healthy, enjoy the time, have you read the book Once a Runner by John Parker? Best book ever written about running it's fiction and a good read. I wish you luck hit the trails, run in the pool do whatever needed to get everything firing :) I used to run 1 hour in the pool every day when I had achilles problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book, Once a Runner, and started it, but haven't made it through. It came highly recommended, along with another book I think you asked about before. I have both.

    I'm cautiously optimistic, but still going to take things slowly. Like said, right now, the focus is getting healthy for Chicago Training.

    thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete