Friday, January 14, 2011

1/14/11 PM Easy Run, 7.5 Miles, My Running Efficiency

7.5 Miles
49:36

This run began with the idea of cruising easy and just enjoying a nice easy Friday night run. I like running when there are not that many people out. Friday evenings are good for that...Sunday evenings as well.

The first mile came in around 7:30, and I hit Crestwood (2-miles) at about 7:00. As I got to the park, I layed down a 6:22 and 6:18. The best part was the "ease" with which those came about. I had plans of backing off, which I did, until I got a little ways down Blossom when I picked up the pace a little, just cause I was feeling good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

During the last mile and a half, I tried a couple of things w/my stride to work on running relaxed and efficient. I've been told at different times that I'm a pretty efficient runner, but there's always room to improve right? I pretty much based it off watching my shadow as I passed street lights.

I notice a lot of shoulder turn with each step. There's also a little too much arm swing at times...especially when there's a lot of distance to cover. The last thing I noticed, which didn't come from the shadow, was how much up and down motion there was. I could tell in two ways; 1) by how it felt on my legs w/each foot strike and (2) how much my line of vision moved when I had my head up and looking straight ahead.

When I focused on reducing my arm movement to only what was necessary, my shoulder turn automatically seemed to follow suit. In order to alter the "bounce" in my stride, I just tried to mentally picture each push-off from my back foot pushing me forward and not up at all. The other thing was to slightly shorten and quicken my stride. Immediately, when I focused my sight straight ahead there was a difference.

The "problem" this all seemed to create is that I moved faster easier. I wouldn't normally think of this as a bad thing, but definitely in training, these things need to be somewhat in check so as not to trash myself and waste fitness at the wrong times. Definitely this is a work in progress, but it's just a few things I had going through my head as I ran.

I know it sounds like a lot, but with just a little bit of mental attention, these things could be "corrected" without really changing my stride or foot strike. All I want to do is reduce the amount of energy it takes for me to move my body forward. Seems like I might be on the right track. The trick will be to use this during my next workout. Keeping these things in line during a mile repeat or a tempo run will be a little trickier than just during an easy run.

No comments:

Post a Comment