Thursday, June 17, 2010

6/13 - 6/17 Updates

Well, after the failed attempt at a long run on Saturday the 12th, I took the 13th off, as I had picked up my daughter and two of my nieces, and we were enjoying a little vacation time.

Monday and Tuesday, the 14th and 15th, I attempted some running... 30 minutes on Monday and 45 minutes on Tuesday. The Monday run was good, but Tuesday was on the total other end of the spectrum.

As I walked the last mile home on Tuesday, I decided that I was not running again till Saturday, 6/19. That is 10 full days, and most of an 11th day (will come up about 2 hours short of a full 11 days... I know, way too detailed) of no running. I'm hoping that some exercises and just time off the roads will do my Achilles some good. I've read that stretching the Achilles during this kind of time might actually be doing some additional damage. So, the exercises I'm doing are to stregthen some, but nothing to strain it.

Yesterday, did 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Four different times, I would go hard for a minute, easy for a minute, and alternated back and forth. I'll do more stuff this evening, and just try to keep up the fitness and positive attitude. Right now, it is definitely waning.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your achilles problems. Same thing here a couple of years ago. Had to resort to pool running for a few weeks to maintain fitness. You probably already have a foot guy you see; both my wife and I have received excellent treatment from Ken Dennis MD, a local podiatrist. He is former medical director of the Houston Marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bert! I currently don't have a foot guy, but have gotten a lot of good suggestions. I'm putting this one at the top of those suggestions.

    ReplyDelete