Tuesday, June 22, 2010

6/22/10

30 more minutes on the clover leaf.

Today I put on those DS Trainers, put my heal inserts in, and cautiously headed out the door, out of my complex parking lot, out the gate, and down the road to the clover leaf.

I made my way around there a few times... feeling the Achilles for a little while, then strangely, as the run went on, feeling it less and less. I really focused on form...trying not to let the discomfort, or the FEAR of discomfort, alter my stride. Sean told me yesterday as he saw me looping the clover leaf that my stride didn't look natural, that I was favoring somewhere in it, that it just didn't look good. I'm chalking that up to a few factors that have less to do with actual pain and discomfort, although some discomfort was present. I wouldn't call it pain though.

As I made my way completing the loops and heading back to my place, I felt really, really good. As I ran down my street to my gate, I couldn't help but smile and feel excitement inside.

Not sure that tonight will get a run, but maybe...still up in the air. If I do, again, no more than 30 minutes. Saturday, I'd like to go for an hour or so, depending on how the Achilles responds. I've even gotten a little uncertain as to what shoes to wear.

The DS Trainers were right on the edge of their "life" when I got my next ones, although, as it should be, there were no noticeable signs of the shoes breaking down. The two pair of shoes that have come since, though, both ran longer than they should have. Now, my current pair... definitely heavier than the DS, are coming close to the end of their life, and I have even contemplated that some factors involved with the shoes may be contributing to the decay of my Achilles thus far.

I don't know...I think I may be searching for any answer other than some indication my body can't handle the training... and I refuse to accept that premise. Too much is on the line here.

1 comment:

  1. I replace my shoes at 400 miles religiously. I used to use the same pair for a year, but I have noticed after I do 400 miles I start to have little aches and pains and they tend to get worse The old me would keep rolling along till I was injured. I now replace every 400 miles and haven't been seriously injured in 2 years.

    ReplyDelete