Saturday, June 12, 2010

Updates, 6/2-6/12

So, I have not been very diligent in updating lately. Right now, I'm in injury avoidance mode with my Achilles. Here's what's gone on since my last update to get us to where I'm at now.

From last week, I did end up running Wednesday, 6/2 afternoon for a little over an hour with Cole.

Ran Thursday morning about 7.5 miles, and the same on Friday, 6/3 and 6/4.

Raced Saturday, 6/5, the Impact a Hero 5k in Sugar Land. 2nd Overall in 16:01, with splits of 4:59, 5:06, 5:20...not a good finish there. Unfortunately, on the cool down with new friend Diana Hirst, as we chatted about her race and injuries (the lady has 5 kids for crying out loud, and she was upset at only running a 19:06 on her attempt to return from injury), I struggled through 2 miles @ 17:30. The Achilles was absolutely torched.

Easy attempt at a run later that afternoon. Made it about 3.5 miles, and walked a little along the way.

Sunday, 6/6, got out for an attempted 10 mile run, but made it 8 miles, and had to walk essentially from Crestwood and Memorial back to my apartment. Fortunately, a friend saw me walking down Blossom and offered a ride back to my place. After initially declining, I took it, and was glad I did. Was only about a mile, but still was good to be off the feet.

Monday morning, 6/7, I opted for an easy run over hills, to give the Achilles some rest, but only made it 4 miles in about 32 minutes.

That afternoon, I did 5.25 miles and felt pretty good for that.

Tuesday, 6/8, I skipped a morning run and ran that afternoon for 7.5 miles. Felt decent, but Achilles was still an issue.

Same Wednesday, 6/9, morning, as I did a 6.5 out and back to the tennis center. I did the same thing that afternoon, and ran virtually pain free, for 13 miles for the day. I felt very encouraged.

I did some aqua jogging, 90-minutes worth, at the Y on Thursday, 6/10, morning, then foolishly got out for a 7 mile run in the afternoon. I should have done 4 tops. I got 5 miles in, and had to ease up, till I walked essentially the last 1.5 home. The Achilles was just hurtin' too bad.

Friday, 6/11, I took off.

Saturday, 6/12, this morning, I attempted a long run... hoping the day's rest would get me feeling good. I made it about 8 miles in just under an hour. Then out of frustration with it, I hopped on a stationary bike for 20 minutes in my fitness center.

Looks like, essentially, I will be doing almost all non-running work this week, to keep the fitness up, while I lay off the road pounding on the Achilles.

1 comment:

  1. Achilles is a frustrating injury. This worked for me. Get a bucket full of cold water sink it in there and add ice (40-50 cubes)15 minutes and do this at least 3 times a day. After a run, in the morning and at night. I still do this if I feel it is tweaked a bit. Hope you're recovery is a speedy one.

    ReplyDelete