Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tough Week Behind...Big Week Ahead

So, I haven't actually made an appointment, but this week will definitely see either a Dr visit, or at the very least, getting a Doc appt scheduled. Another tough week of training "climaxed", so to speak on Saturday when I actually looked forward to the idea of attempting a run over an hour...something I hadn't been able to do in a week and a half. As Friday came, the decision I made for Saturday was to a do a mini-tri. I started out for about 250-300m in the pool (took me a long time, as I'm not a strong swimmer in the least, and stopping at the end of each swim across my apt pool). I followed that with a quick change in the fitness center and hopping on a stationary bike for 30 minutes, with 5 minutes thrown in there of a decent intensity. Finally, again, a quick change and heading out for 45 minutes of running. The idea was that a little loosening of the legs and Achilles, while not really straining it might do me some good on the run. I knew I wouldn't be able to run long, but wanted the 1:30+ of actual work.

When the running got going, though, it drove home the final nail in the decision to make some changes on my plans. I could only make it about 2 miles before having to stop, stretch and let the pain subside, before going again for another 2 miles and repeating the process. I only made a 6.5 mile run in those 45 minutes. As I described to my parents, it's frustrating that I couldn't even get to the point of being tired on my run.

So, changes to make....over the last few weeks, I've put a lot of pressure on myself to get healthy so I could get on to a sustainable training schedule in preparation for Twin Cities. Now, facing 9 weeks to race day, I realized that it was all but over for this race. As I completed the run, I walked inside, did some stretching again, and pretty much admitted to myself that Twin Cities is not going to happen. I will be scheduling an appointment with a doctor to take a look at the Achilles this week.

Keeping in mind that the goal remains the same, in order to get the volume back, I need to heal. And in order to heal fully, I need some professional input and some time off. We'll see what happens after the visit...

2 comments:

  1. I wish you luck. I have had achilles problems....but none for 2 years now. Saw a doctor he put me on naproxen, told me to wear lifts in my shoes takes the pressure off Achilles and sink my Achilles in cold water and ice 15 minutes 3 times a day before run after run and before bed. I was running within a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know that on my own, I'm not doing all I need to. I need the professional input, and with insurance coverage, it's silly for me to have gone this long without it. The important part is to get back on my feet and out the door.

    I'm hoping that my recommendation is along those same lines. My coach has offered input, but I've not followed all of it to a t.

    ReplyDelete