Monday, May 9, 2011

5/4 - 5/8 Updates

5/4 - PM 7.1 Miles
50:21

Ran with a neighbor of mine, Dan, to the park, loop and back. Gave me 14-miles on the day, and felt pretty good too.

5/5 - After 2 runs and 14 miles the prior day, I took this day off. I'm not in real "training" mode yet, so wasn't TOO important to get this run in yet. However, I did want to make sure I gave myself time to recover from it.

5/6 - PM 7.1 Miles
46:57

I got on it a little today... got nothing below 6-minute pace, but hung out in the mid-6's for the majority of the run. Felt good.

5/7 - Kenyan Way Saturday Long Run - 13+ Miles
1:27:20

I felt really good on this run. I can DEFINITELY feel that my fitness and cardio shape are not there, but it felt good to get out and join the group for a run and to be able to (1) keep up, and (2) finish the entire run. Luis helped push the pace about mid-way through and to the end, and I just wanted to see how long I could stay with the group and feel decent doing it. As we neared the completion of the first main loop at 9-ish miles, we might have dropped a couple of 6:10 miles, maybe just a little under that, but I knew I couldn't do that for the remaining 4 miles I wanted to do. So, we started the final 2 miles, and my watch said 1:00:35. So, to run the last 4 miles, when I was throttling back, at 27 minutes (or just under) is a good feeling.

5/8 - AM Easy Run - Distance not known
1:01:15

I took it out easy to run down to the park, but as I got to the park, inspired by a friend's jaunt through the trails across the street from MP, I decided to hit the turn off and go for a little trail running myself. I entered the wooded area at just under 15 minutes into my run, and emerged about 47 minutes into the run, so spent just over 30-minutes weaving through and up and down the trails. Was a good deviation from the norm, although I ended up about 10-15 minutes longer than I had planned on going. But, it was fun, and kinda charged me up even more after the way the week went.

I crested 50 miles for the week last week, and looking forward to bumping it up just a tad this week. It didn't start out with a bang, though, as I didn't even hear my 5:15 wake up call this morning. I was flat wiped out.

All having been said, my confidence has been raised. I am reigniting belief in the times I have wanted to run for all distances, and it's just fueling the desire to get out the door to run. Stretching and strength building are still key, so we'll see how committed I stay to the ENTIRE process.

Rodriguez...OUT!!

3 comments:

  1. Sam,

    It's amazing how much progress you have made in just the past few weeks. Glad to hear that you were not eaten by bears on the Ho Chi Minh trails.

    Spiller

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    Thanks man. Good to have people in your corner, that's for sure. I was more worried about snakes, and the turtle that I had to make sure I didn't step on while on the trails. :)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam,

    Just wanted to stop in and congratulate you on getting back into the swing of things. I've been injured for a few months too, mine was a tightness in my upper calf/hamstring and migrated down to around my Achilles. I know how frustrating it can be, its good to see you building back up and I'm definitely going to use this as my motivation.

    Good luck and keep us updated!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete