Sunday, March 21, 2010

3/21/10 Easy AM Run, 7 Miles (treadmill)

7 Miles
49:00
7:00 avg

Was a little cold and breezy out. Running partner preferred indoors on a treadmill, so that's what we did. I try to not do the treadmill if it's at all possible, but wasn't too bad. Just for fun, with about a mile and a quarter left in my run, I bumped it up to 5:18 pace and held that for a mile. Was kinda neat doing that on a treadmill, as I had to put no thought into the pace, just keeping the legs going at the right speed. She looked over and said "doesn't look like that's taking too much effort." My response was "Yeah...for now. And it shouldn't cause this is my current 5k PR pace." Whenever I run a 5k again, that SHOULD come crashing down, but we'll see. Either way, that was my fantasy marathon pace, so it felt good to just throw that in for a mile, almost 6 miles into my run.

The best part was that I was able to keep a relaxed motion. As I ran, I told her that I sorta had 2 options on my stride. I lengthened the stride some and was taking fewer steps, as she watched from her treadmill. Then I said, "or I could quicken the steps, shorten the stride and just move my feet quicker." She told me that the 2nd option looked more natural, and actually was probably the better marathon running motion versus the other. I agreed. Took less arm movement, less upper body effort...just legs. All in all, a good run, and about as much fun as I could have on a treadmill.

Followed the run with light core and stretching.

3 comments:

  1. Running on a treadmill is much easier. There are no elements, change of terrain, or anything of that nature to interfere with your stride or pace. Put the incline to either 1 or 1.5 to more simulate the effort that would be outside. Still not the same but better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also treadmills are never calibrated to effectively show the pace at which you are really running. The screens are more often than not, not correct because gyms do not to pay for the maintenance to keep them accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-good points, and I certainly agree that treadmill running is most definitely easier because of the reasons you pointed out. Even if it was not 5:18 pace, it was pretty darn close. I was merely commenting on the effort to keep the legs moving, not necessarily to run that speed. Thanks for the input though.

    ReplyDelete