Monday, May 10, 2010

5/10/10 AM Hill Workout, 9 Miles

9 Miles
1:02:14
6:54 avg pace
25 minutes of hills, 16 hill repeats on the Clover Leaf

Warmed up for a little over 3 miles, and cooled down for 2 miles. I really took the hills easy... definitely not pushing. I sorta just cruised the hills at a faster pace. After a 5k Saturday, a 20-miler yesterday, hammering some hills was not going to be the smartest way to go. Felt good. Legs were way, way heavy to begin the run, but loosened up as things went on. Surprisingly, nothing abnormal felt on the Achilles at all. Feel good about that.

I'm excited that I'll be running again tonight. Feels like forever since I did a 2-a-day, so I'm ready for the next few days to go that route. Also, ready to get back over 100 miles.

----------------------------------------------------------

Good discussion with coach over the weekend about training plan for the next few weeks. Modified my race calendar some (will update my sidebar soon), as well as my mileage goals over the summer. Essentially, in these conditions, I definitely don't need to be in a hurry to get my mileage over 120. The summers here are too hot and humid to worry about that. I'll hang out where I'm at, 110-115, maybe sniff 120, but not do anything drastic. Let's just survive the summer with mileage and workouts in the heat and humidity, then when it cools down late in the year, take the mileage up and really get some strong workouts in before the Houston Marathon.

I also may be adding an October marathon by running Twin Cities...not 100% certain on that, but it's a possibility. Just another time to put the legs to the test, as my coach tells me "to do what YOU're trying to do." :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    I ran Twin Cities two years ago. Beautiful course, though some unpleasant hills around Miles 19-21. Good downhill finish. I don't know when the registration opens or closes, but it fills up pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete