Thursday, May 27, 2010

5/27/10 AM Workout, 12 Miles Total (7-mile Tempo)

12 Miles
1:16:43
6:24 avg
Workout
7 Miles @ tempo pace, 5:30
Splits
5:28, 5:33, 5:27, 5:31, 5:33, 5:30, 5:32 - 38:36 (5:31 avg)
3 mile warmup @ 22:20
2 mile cool down @ 15:46

Boy, going into a 3rd try at a workout that was kickin' my butt the last two weeks was a little unnerving, but I was looking forward to it nonetheless. Warmup started out with legs that just didn't seem to feel up to the task. I ran with Dan around the park, and he kept saying "Ah, you'll be alright."

I changed shoes into my racing flats and didn't waste too much time before gettin' after it. First mile felt pretty relaxed, as I targeted hitting over 5:30, but was okay w/5:28. I found it funny that both the miles that go along Memorial where you have the decline then the incline both came out to 5:33. Mile 3 felt good, and I was just hoping for under 5:33. I saw Sean early on in mile 6, and he told me not to hammer it. I knew I needed to NOT be at max effort for a tempo run. I focused from there on relaxing my stride, my arm movement, my breathing, and just trying to relax my whole body. Seemed to work, as I felt good throughout mile 7.

Overall, I feel really good about the run...best of all, glad that I completed all 7 miles. Those last 2 weeks had been messing with my head some. No 2nd run tonight, but will tomorrow and then 20 on the weekend. Hoping I can get myself above the century mark this week. Seems that it's been too long, and this following two mid-90s weeks. I need a 100-miler.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, that's a tough workout.
    Refuel well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bud, and yeah, it was a tough run. The bigger hurdle, aside from just completing the workout, was that I'd tried 7-mile tempo both of the last 2 Thursdays....3 miles on the first one, and 4 miles on the second try. To get all 7...hard to describe what it did for me. I appreciate you reading and the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete