Saturday, April 17, 2010

4/17/10 Kenyan Way Long Run, 20 Miles

20 Miles
2:16:18
6:49 avg
7:35, 7:10, 7:07, 7:01, 7:02, 7:01, 6:56, 6:52, 6:29, 6:19 - 6:57 avg
6:29, 6:34, 6:39, 6:48, 6:52, 6:44, 6:51, 6:49, 6:31, 6:20 - 6:40 avg

All in all, this was a really good run. Hadn't done a 20-miler (aside from the marathon) since December, I think, so it feels good to have these miles under my feet. I can consider this the start of "heavy" weekends for me. Friday, 15. Saturday, 20. Tomorrow, another 15 on the plan. I like it. We'll see what the legs, feet and energy levels have to say about it though.

Achilles was good for the most part. Got a little concerned 5-6 miles in, as it started to ache some, and I thought I'd stop when we made it back to base, at 12-miles. But, fortunately, the discomfort subsided and all was good. A little hamstring twinge the day before, so I made sure to stretch that good. Other than that, body is feeling pretty good after 20-today.

One funny moment... as we're coming back towards Memorial from 610, I know I need a port-o-can, so I say as much to the guy running next to me, and he reminds me there's one just a quarter mile into the park. So, as soon as we hit the trail, I take off and say "I'll try not to lose too much ground." I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I was movin' pretty good, and I made it...whew! So, I come out, and I think I see the tail end of the group in the distance, so off I go. Now, it becomes my mission to catch them, so I move along faster than I really ought to and catch them at the water stop @ Crestwood and Memorial. As we're just finishing up our water, I hear one guy say "Hey, who was that that took off a little bit ago?" Another guy says "He was just going to the bathroom." So, I piped up "That was me... It's Sam, by the way." A couple of guys laughed, and he says "Oh, sorry." I'm not sure what the sorry was for, but I thought it was kinda funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment