Monday, April 19, 2010

4/19/10 AM Hill Workout, 8-Miles

8 Miles
4 Miles warmup and cool down
4xprogressive mile repeats on Clover Leaf
6:14, 5:40, 5:30, 5:15

94 Miles in last 7 days

So, first real hard effort on a heavy week (other than my race). I went into this run with 94 miles already on my legs in the last 7 days, and just not sure how they'd feel pushing up hills. Then when I saw the workout, I began to dread the idea of doing 5 mile repeats on the Clover Leaf. But, whatever it takes right?

Sean suggested I just do 6 or 6:15 to start out. I can tell he doesn't want to tell me to push too hard, for the same fear I have, and that's pulling or straining something. To be honest, the first part of the mile felt like crap, but about a quarter-mile in, I really felt like I loosened up and moved well. I was disappointed to get over 6:10 for that first mile, but it was good that way...built a little confidence for me for the remaining workout. Definitely, I took off a little harder for the 2nd effort, and I knew half-way through that I was going a little faster than intended, but I didn't want to let up. After that 5:40, I started to think that 2 more hard efforts, and no way a 5th one will make it in there today...that's a battle to wage another day. The 5:30 felt good, but slightly taxing. I told Sean "I only got one more in me" as I walked by him during the 50 second recovery, and he said "That's alright, man." So off I went. I wanted to start out fast and not let up. I felt myself start to just a bit on the first uphill in that first quarter, but leaned into it and pressed forward, through the downhill, and really worked hard that last uphill. I'm not sure how fast I was going to finish off, but I was really running hard by the end of that mile. Was hoping for sub 5:10, but I'll take a 5:14 with what I've been doing.

Provided this afternoon's run goes well, it will take me over the century mark for the first time in my life. Can't wait. :-) I think I'll celebrate with peanut butter and jelly with milk.

1 comment:

  1. PB&J.

    Something I have been eating a lot of lately myself.

    JBug

    ReplyDelete